Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Tuck Shop



This is the Tuck Shop, on 1st St btw 1st and 2nd Aves in Manhattan. It is reputed to be an outpost for Aussie food. Not being Australian and never having been to Australia, I can't vouch for the authenticity of the food, but the meat pie I had was mighty tasty. The pie was ground beef in puff pastry. ($5) Others are available,chicken and leeks and vegetarian. I think I'll try the chicken next.(I might just make my own.)





I skipped dessert; the vanilla slice (puff pastry with vanilla custard inside and topped with vanilla icing) would have been just one serving of puff pastry too many, and the lamington (Cake, jelly ((most versions I've seen don't seem to have jelly)), chocolate icing and coconut) looked rather lame. I've never had one, but when I do, I want it to be really good.



Lamington recipe

No comments: