Sunday, August 06, 2006

Fritters for Breakfast



I won't give the recipe (FoodTV Sara Moulton) because I would modify the recipe, or choose a new one entirely before I make these again. They were not bad, but could be better, I think. They were sort of like funnel cakes on steroids, chock full of corn, but rather stodgy, even when slathered with butter and doused with syrup. They do look nice, however.
My mother of blessed memory was on a never ending quest for the corn fritters her mother, of similarly blessed memory used to make. (Also her chili sauce, but that's another post.) I had great hopes for these, based on my mother's description alone, but somehow I doubt if they would have passed muster. My sister Annie tells me that my grandmother made corn fritters one year at a vacation home in Point Pleasant, NJ. Having been reminded of this now I have a vague recollection of the event, but can't really recall the fritters.

No comments: